Grooming your dog is not an easy task. Depending on the breed of dog you have; one must consider the type of hair the dog has, the style that you wish, and how your pet acts when being groomed. I adopted a small breed, a Maltese, three years ago and I have groomed him myself and had him professionally groomed. He has gone from having long hair, like a show dog, to now having a “puppy cut”.
Becoming prepared before you begin dog grooming is essential. Also, consider the time allowed. If you are a beginner, this will be something you need a couple of hours to do. Below are a few things I have found helpful to get ready beforehand, and what to do during the grooming process.
You can opt for dog grooming in Durham NC at https://topdogtrainingandresort.com/dog-grooming-durham/.
Having Proper Dog Grooming Tools
- Good quality clippers – This is the most important of all tools you will need. Don’t go out and buy the cheapest ones you can get, here you truly get what you pay for. Also, make sure they come with different lengths or changeable blades. Plastic guards, as what you get with human hair clippers, simply don’t work (this is especially true with dogs that don’t have an undercoat).
- Pin Brush – These are great for long-haired dogs and helpful when brushing out tangles and mats. Be sure they have a rubber base on the pins for flexibility, as it is easier for you and more comfortable for your dog.
- Slicker Brush – Great for finishing your dog grooming session, giving your dog a great look.
- Comb – For use on the face of your dog, this tool is a must. It’s easier to get around the eyes, nose, and mouth without injuring the dog as a wire pin brush could do.
- Hairdryer – Good for drying long-haired dogs, but be sure to use a low warm setting as not to burn your dog. Also, always dry your dog’s hair before cutting and brushing.
- Finishing Spray/Detangler – Depending on the breed of dog, you may end up with hair that is not laying down properly due to static electricity and a good finishing spray will give it the perfect ending touch.